Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Game of Life

Luke decided to spend some of his birthday money on The Game of Life.  He loves it!  He read every detail of the rules/instructions that came with the game before we played last night.  Evie was busy doing some homework, so it was just the boys and Chuck and me.  And it was pretty darn fun! 


Luke told us all how to play.  He designated Chuck as the banker.  Chuck and I both choose to take the college path and the boys both took the career path.  Luke was a farmer and George was a mechanic.  They were thrilled!  I was lucky to choose lawyer and Chuck was a brain surgeon. 


Let me tell you, Chuck won by a long shot.  In the end, I tried to point out to the kids that Chuck and I won first and second place (by several million dollars) because we decided to go to college.  They remain unconvinced about our paths. 


Even though the game says it is for ages 8 and up, I was thrilled that George was basically able to play the game with only a little assitance from the rest of us.  You know, like we had to read everything for him and take care of his money, but otherwise, he could spin and move the pieces and put his kids in the car and make decisions.  And let me tell you, his decisions were hilarious!  He wanted to have kids in the worst way.  He even fudged one of his spins so that he could have twins.  In the end, he ended up with five kids!  I only asked him to name the three kids, so I can announce that my first grandkids were named Theresa, Amber, and Hammer.  I was quite flattered.  Luke, on the other hand named his kids Bobby and Joe.  I had four kids in the game, and Chuck opted not to have any...and I'm still pondering that... 


The most disturbing portion of this game, however, was when George announced in his first turn of the game that he wanted to sue somebody so he could collect money.  My eyes widened at his announcement and I asked where he had heard such a thing.  Apparently, this came from Luke.  And, true to his word, he got a card that said to sue one of the other players and collect $20K.  He chose to sue Chuck.  Look at the satisfaction on his face.  I think it's a sign.

No comments: