Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Are we white?

Luke has to make a presentation on Barack Obama next week. We've slowly been working on the research. He's got his name and his place of birth memorized and can point out that Obama is the first African American president of the United States.

We were going over these points on the way to school this morning. After informing me of Obama's status as the first African American president, Luke asked: "Mom? Are we white?"

Me: "Yes."

Luke: "Hiba is black."

(Hiba is a girl in his class, and I'm pretty sure she's Indian, but she's definitely not black.).

Me: "No she's not."

Luke: "Yes she is."

Me: "No, honey. I'm pretty sure she's Indian."

Luke: "What is that?"

In my head: Oh hell, shit, damn. Why did I start this?

Me: "It means her family is from the country India. I'll have to show you where it is on a map."

Luke: "Oh."

Me: "Who else do you know that is black?"

Luke: "Just Hiba."

In my head: Oh Good Lord. He doesn't listen.

Me: "Hiba isn't black."

Luke: "All my friends are white."

Me: *rolling my eyes* "That can't be true."

Luke continued: "Uh huh. Jody is white. Matthew is white. Michael is white. . ."

Me: "Okay. Okay. Okay. I'm sure you have friends that aren't white."

Luke: "No. All my friends are white."

Me: *sigh*

We arrived at school and I gave up.

Parenting is interesting.

Now look at the picture in the post below this about his soccer team, and I guess maybe he's right. It's almost blinding.

5 comments:

Angie said...

I'm sure I'll run into this awkward conversation with Rachel some day too. There aren't a lot of non-white children in rural Iowa so I guess it's good that we live close to a University town.

Theresa said...

Bless you for commenting. You're the only person out there anymore. :)

Angie said...

I'm sure there are lots of people. I'm just the only one reading blogs when I should be working. :)

Mom said...

Why would I comment when I have been at your house for most of the past week? I love you and the kids. Chuck too.

ashley1996 said...

I love your blog. I don't blog much anymore because I felt like I was writing to no one. You keep me very entertained!