Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Time Suck

The transformation appears to be complete.  I am almost certainly a stay at home mom.  Not sure how it happened, but here I am.  The problem is that I still have all my lawyering skills and that makes me an impatient SAHM. 

Oh, God.  I can't believe I just used the accronym too!  What's happened to me?!

There's certainly nothing wrong with a SAHM, it's just not what I ever expected to become.  And truly, I hope that my practice will at least give me something to stretch my mind - although I'm not going to lie - 1st and 3rd grades are doing a pretty good job of stretching my mind right now.

Instead of thinking that this makes me someone different from who I was when I was practicing at the law firm, I choose to believe that this is simply broadening my perspective - and what a perspective it is!  The strangest thing is finding that the house is much messier than it was before, I'm much less organized that I was before, and I still can't find time to fit in all the things I want to do.  I swear, the time just gets sucked into some horrible vortex of Mommyhood.  It's the most bizzaare and unbelievable (from any other person's perspective) thing.  I find myself listing off all that I've accomplished at the end of the day.  For example:

  • Dropped off kids at school
  • Accidentally dropped my iPhone in Luke's backpack before school so returned to school to retrieve iPhone.  How do these things happen???
  • Called mother to make sure she hasn't died or broken a hip. 
  • Ate breakfast and read the paper (gasp!)
  • Cleaned kitchen
  • Went for a jog
  • Checked email
  • Lifted weights
  • Ate lunch
  • Took shower (yes, this must be accounted for since it takes time out of my day)
  • Delivered cookie money to Girl Scout mom
  • Went to Target to pick up cookie materials for Luke's boy scout project
  • Picked up George
  • Picked up Luke & Evie
  • Allowed kids to play at park while I reviewed a contract for someone; called that someone to discuss contract; finished call and discussed life with another mom on playground (a new and interesting experience that is fairly regular now)
  • Took kids home and made them a snack.
  • Started homework with kids and alternated between homework and Luke's boy scout project requirements (there are official terms, but I haven't memorized them yet).  He had to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and popcorn as a snack for the den meeting in order to achieve his cooking achievement/badge/requirement/idon'tgiveashitwhatyoucallit.  This took at least two hours to bake cookies and package them in ziplock bags and then pop and entire bag of popcorn and package it in individual paper bags for easy delivery at the den meeting we had tonight.
  • Sat down for 15 minutes to rest my feet and eat dinner
  • Gathered kids and took them to the scout meeting while Chuck was at a business dinner.  I found myself amongst a flock of power-tool-weilding men and their mini-me's.  There were other females there, but they were all under the age of 8; therefore, they don't count.  Despite my best efforts to keep George and Evie entertained, the iPad failed me as did my iPhone since we couldn't get a good internet connection.  But then the worst happened when I was expected to help Luke build a tool box using plywood (pre-cut), screws, and a drill.  The drill I brought was not charged (thanks Chuck).  We borrowed and eventually, the den leader ended up helping Luke make his tool box.  Quite frankly, I think he was pretty lucky, but I felt as useful as tits on a boar hog. (yes, I just wrote that and yes, you just read that).
  • Brought kids home, sent them upstairs, made lunches, insisted kids must sleep, cleaned kitchen ever so slightly, poured glass of wine, sat down.
And here I am.  How does the day disappear before my very eyes????  I don't know, but it happens to mothers every day.  I'm not the first one to experience this, and I won't be the last.  What I know, is that I am learning so many new things about my children - good and bad - and I can't trade that for all the time in the world.

3 comments:

Jess said...

It is amazing how much busier you seem when you stop working professionally and start staying home. Two years later, I am still amazed at how busy our days are. I still miss working full time (every now and then), as a professional, but wouldn't give the time I have been able to spend with the kiddos up for the world. Lore doesn't remember what it was like when I worked outside the home, but Nicholas does and he will tell everyone that it is much better with me home even though he spends his days at school. I hope you find some things just for you including your practice, it makes a big difference to sanity. :)

Angie said...

I have to say, I have really enjoyed reading about how things are changing in your life. I think it is really neat (and interesting) to see that you are taking some unnexpected turns and wearing so many hats. Good for you! Keep it up and enjoy your SAHM WAHM status. :)

FWAtty said...

Wow! It is true you really have crossed over to the other side :)
I think you should refer to your self as a Stay at Home Mom Counsel
SAHMC)--kind of like in-house counsel :)