Tuesday, September 10, 2013

September 11, 2001 - Patriot Day

So, tomorrow is Patriot Day, and always and forever a day of remembrance for those we lost on September 11, 2001.  This morning I talked to Luke and Evie about it.  As I told them what happened, they chimed in with their knowledge gleaned from history taught in schools.  I mentioned the buildings and Luke said, "The Twin Towers.  We learned about that in school."  I went on to tell them about all the firemen and first responders who lost their lives that day and that there were simultaneous attacks on two other planes.  I told them how brave citizens just like us were on a plane and decided to fight back against the terrorists that took over the plane so they couldn't hurt any more people.  And I told them about the devastating attack on the Pentagon.  Luke told me he saw all about it on the Military Channel. (I didn't even know that there was such a thing, but apparently he enjoys watching it.)  He identified the show as "The Pentagon Under Attack".  Apparently he learned about it and remembered.  So, I told them what we did that day - Chuck and me, since the kids weren't around obviously.  How I was in law school and Chuck was working downtown.  And I told them how we all had to go home - everyone.  And we watched the television as we prayed that there would be more survivors.  I started to tear up.  And then Evie asked me, "What happened to the people on the plane?"  And , with an involuntary catch in my voice, I had to tell her the horrible truth.  I told them that it was one of the worst days in American history, and certainly one of the worst things I've ever experienced.  To which they replied with shock and awe, "You were alive when that happened?!"

Leave it to the kids to bring a little levity to the situation when I was on the verge of leaking crocodile tears.  So, I confirmed that yes, I was alive. I said, "It happened 12 years ago; how old do you think I am?"  Logic apparently took hold.  Thank God they didn't actually answer the question.  I really open myself up there.  Still, we will remember tomorrow, and every September 11th for the rest of our lives.  It had such a profound effect on all Americans in the world.  I pray that we will never have to face such terror again.


I hope you all will remember with me tomorrow.  May God bless us all.

No comments: