Monday, June 16, 2008

Back in the Saddle

So, I have several friends who seem to find time to blog everyday, but I swear I don't have the time. I work too hard at home and at work to find time to write, but I think it might behoove me to use this forum to express how difficult it can be to be a professional mother. Actually, that was the point when I originally started this blog, but that is the reason that I can't seem to keep it up.

I'm in at work this a.m. at 8:30 (an early start for me) since Chuck took the kids in. Now, I'm fast and furious working on Subpoenas and letters to opposing counsel. There's just no free time since every minute has to be billed to someone. I hate the billable hour.

My comment today is that I think it is so different for a working mother because it is generally (not absolutely) the duty of the mother to keep track of the random day-to-day matters. In my case, this includes snack day, type of snack, birthdays, splash day at school, does Chuck have enough clean clothes, is there enough milk to get us through the week, did I feed the dog this morning, do the kids have extra clothes at school, scheduling kid check ups, scheduling car check ups, all the scheduling for family holidays and parties, and the list goes on and on. Luckily, Chuck really does handle a lot of what is going on, but it is easy to forget things. For example, I bought strawberries at the store yesterday and I forgot to clean them and put them in the refrigerator. That is one of the first things Chuck talked to me about this morning. I mean, come on, so I freakin forgot! I forget things all the time and so does he. For example, after that discussion this morning, he forgot to pack lunches for the kids. Ugh.

Sometimes I really hate Mondays, but then I think that I'm lucky to be alive and able to work at such a great job. So here I am, plowing away through the legal paperwork that is my job and answering crazy minutely detailed questions. I hope to keep up my posts, so that I can show you how crazy it gets sometimes.

Oh, by the way, because we didn't have enough going on, Chuck and I have decided to welcome a third child into our family. For those of you who are asking, this was completely planned and we are very excited. I still have my questions about what we will do with three kids and how we will handle three bouts with a cold and three extracurricular activity schedules, but I guess this just keeps life exciting. I would hate to think that there is something we can't handle!

No comments: