Monday, August 24, 2009

I made it

Yes, yes, my first born started Kindergarten today - the Big K - the Jungle. He's there now! He did great, and so did I - not a single tear - just smiles for both of us!

Saturday we went to the Kindergarten Popsicle Social in the park across the street from the school. We found out the name of his teacher and met a few kids that are in his class. He seemed fairly uninterested in meeting anyone and was primarily focused on the Popsicles and playing on the playground. We found out that Luke will be in the same class with a couple of his friends from Montessori. That makes it a little more comfortable.

Then last night Chuck and I went to the Parents' open house to meet the teacher and get the low down on Kindergarten. They handed me six separate sheets of paper in addition to a packet of school procedures. As the teacher started to go over all the things we needed to remember, a had a sinking feeling as I realized that my life was about to get about 10 times more complicated than I had imagined. All of a sudden I now had to remember what to put in Luke's backpack every morning, what he can and can't wear to school, spirit day is Thursday, show and tell is Friday, a lunch costs $1.50, pack two napkins in his lunchbox, send a water bottle to school every day, check his folder every night, learn the discipline system (1 = talks to much, 2 = didn't raise his hand, etc), visiting rules, sign up to read to the kids one Friday, birthday party procedures, and the list goes on and on. I was still so excited so I bought up a ton of stuff at the PTA store including a "Tanglewood Mom" shirt. I've never ever felt so soccer-momish! Here's a picture of Luke standing by the yard sign I bought last night. Seriously, I've reached new levels of dorkiness.

Here are more fun pictures of our morning.

Luke holding Daddy's hand as we walk to school.

Luke walking up the stairs to School

Luke and his friend Audrey

Luke and his teacher

With all that said, Luke was thrilled to go to school to day and had no hesitation about walking into his classroom. I can't wait to hear how his first day went!

Oh, and here's a picture of little Evie, who was very disappointed that she didn't get to go to school today. The poor girl has to wait two years.


Mom said...

I'm so glad things went so well this morning. I was about to call to ask how things went; I decided to check the blog first rather than call. I love you all.

Roxy said...

Precious!! Please tell us how his 1st day went!

The Potters said...

Can't wait to hear how today goes!

lisawitt said...

SO SWEET! And actually made me get a little teary for you too! Our babies are growing up! Cant wait to hear how the first day went! :)

Joan said...

Welcome to my world , you dorky school mom, You!!