Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Father's Day is coming

So, Father's Day is coming up this weekend. I sat the kids down this morning after Chuck had left for work (we're actually all still asleep when Chuck leaves for work, so this isn't much of a problem), so we could discuss what kind of gift they would like to get Chuck to celebrate Father's Day.

Luke quickly announced, "A nerf gun!"

I cocked my head to the side and gave him my best give-me-a-break look and said, "A nerf gun? Daddy already has one of those and so do you. Remember that it is Father's Day, not Luke Day. Evie, what do you think?"

Evie followed with some hemming and hawing.

Luke cut her off before she could say anything and stated obnoxiously, "NO Barbies!"

Evie hemmed some more and said, "A movie?"

Me, "Maybe. That's a good idea. What kind of movie?"

Evie, "I dunno."

Luke, "We could get him Star Wars VI?"

Me, "No, Daddy already has Star Wars VI. Remember? You went with him to buy it on DVD . . . last night?" I looked pointedly at the box for the Star Wars Trilogy that was still sitting on our coffee table.

Luke, "Oh."

Me, "Any other ideas?"

There was a brief pause as they contemplated. Then Evie's face lit up and she said, "I know! Another prince Barbie!"

Me, "Well, that is a good idea. But that's what you got him for Christmas, remember? So, one is probably enough for Daddy."

Evie's face fell a little. I waited a little longer before stating, "Well, you guys think about it some more today and we'll see if we can come up with something for him, okay?"

They didn't even shrug to acknowledge me. Oh well.

No comments: