Monday, July 14, 2008

Worst Week In Recent History

I think Chuck and I just wrapped up what has to be one of the worst weeks we've had in recent history. Now, I think it is a blessing that Luke was gone all last week. (he is still gone for the rest of this week and it is killing me).

Although we were busy all week with frustrating situations that would usually have me complaining, I now view those situations as a rather petty complaint in my life because we were also faced with the tragic loss of a young father on Wednesday. Death always puts life into perspective, don't you think? The worst part of my week was when we found out that one of Chuck's friends (Chris Brumley) from Wichita Falls was killed in a motorcycle accident on Wednesday. It was awful. Chuck and I are actually closer to Chris's brothers, Nathan and Tony, but it still hurts to know that some of your closest friends are hurting. Chuck also considers their dad, Dean Brumley, to be one of the best teachers he has ever had. To make matters worse, we found out that Chris and his wife just had a baby 2 1/2 months ago - a little boy named Chase. Chase has a hand painted piece of wood hanging in his bedroom that reads, "I have a hero . . . his name is Daddy." Bless that little boy and his mommy.

We left Ft. Worth Friday afternoon to attend the visitation where Chuck and his entire high school community (and many members of the Wichita Falls community) were in attendance. We hugged Nathan and Tony and expressed our sympathies, but it is so difficult to say anything when you know that the words, though heartfelt, offer little or no comfort in a time like that. (For those of you who know us, you may have met Nathan and Tony at our wedding - I know they went over to Susan, Kari & Lisa's apartment for the post-wedding party), and Tony and Nathan also joined us last year when we attended the Robert Earl Keen concert at Bass Hall.

Chuck and Tim (chuck's best friend who lived with Chris for a short time) went to Chris's house after the visitation to drink with Nathan, Tony, and others. The next morning we attended the funeral (without Evie) and it was truly heartwrenching. His wife held their baby and walked down the church aisle with Chris's parents and her parents. They all sat on the front row next to the casket and listened to scripture, songs, and stories, and sorrowfully watched a slideshow of Chris's adventurous life. The funeral opened with the song "Stairway to Heaven" and ended with "I'll Fly Away." Chris was 35 and a "man's man." May he rest in peace.

This event prompts me to write that I love each one of you, those far away and those close, my friends and my acquaintances, my family and your family. Everyone's life has a purpose, and I truly believe that Chris's purpose had been served when he was called home to Heaven. So, while I am sad and heartbroken for those Chris left behind, I know that there is a reason and a plan, and I take comfort knowing that God has embraced Chris and holds him close.

Much love to you all.

For the parents out there, below is a poem that was given to Chris's parents by their pediatrician. It was read at his funeral, and brings tears to my eyes at the thought of losing my own children or at the thought of other parents losing their children. Nonetheless, it is a reminder of the blessed times we have with our children and with each other. May we never forget how precious each day is.


God's Loan

"I'll lend to you for a little time,
A child of mine," He said,
"For you to love him while he lives
And mourn for when he's dead."

"It may be six or seven years
Or twenty-two or three,
But will you till I call him back,
Take care of him for me?"

"He'll bring his charms to gladden you
And should his stay be brief,
You'll have these precious memories
As solace for your grief."

"I cannot promise he will stay
Since all from earth return.
But there are lessons taught down there
I want this child to learn."

"I've looked this wide world over,
In my search for teachers true.
And in the crowds that throng life's land,
I have selected you."

"Now will you give him all your love
Not think the labor vain,
Nor hate me when I come to call
To take him back again?"

It seems to me I heard them say,
"Dear Lord, thy will be done.
For all the joys a child shall bring,
The risk of grief we'll run."

"We'll shelter him with tenderness,
We'll love him while we may,
And for the happiness we've known
Forever grateful stay."

"And should the angels call for him
Much sooner than we'd planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes
And try to understand."

- Author Unknown

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh Theresa,
That absolutely brings tears to my eyes. I will be keeping your friends in my prayers. Of course that always brings Rachel to my mind as to lose a person so young. I think I will pass that poem on to PS & Claude too. I still struggle with why God chooses to take people when He does, but I do believe there is a reaosn. Anyway, big hugs to you and chuck and I am very sorry for the loss of your friend.
Love,
Lisa

Theresa said...

lisa, thanks. I thought of Rachel all weekend. I kept thinking this was one of the saddest funerals I had been to, but of course it doesn't top Rachel. I know she died for a reason, but I wish He could make it clear to me. Sometimes I wonder if it was a way of keeping all of us close or for us to appreciate one another and life more. Then again, I feel like her purpose had to be something bigger. It is such a mystery, but I keep the faith that He knows what He is doing. Much love, and thanks for the prayers.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss, I am still all teary from that poem and the thought of that young mom attending her husband's funeral. One day we will all realize God's plan, and all of His reasons. It will be a big party and Rachel will be there to throw it.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I mostly visits this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Plenty of useful information on professionalmother.blogspot.com. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. Here is a fact for you. Research points that about 50% of all U.S. grownups are either chubby or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these people, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.