Thursday, February 11, 2010

Hmmm.

I don't know what is going on here in North Texas, but we are expecting between 4-7 inches of SNOW today! What the hell? I've never seen it snow so much here. I woke up at 3 a.m. and there was already full accumulation on our roof. And this morning, there was a solid 2-3 inches on the ground and on the cars. Unbelievable! And for the first time I had to warn my kids not to eat the yellow snow. Who would have ever guessed?


Here's Luke munching on a block of snow that fell off the car. He started eating it before I figured out where it came from. Sorry, it's a bad picture. I was driving in the snow while I snapped it with my phone. Probably not a good idea, but since I went to such great lengths to take the picture, I'm not going to let it go to waste.

Yesterday, Luke's school celebrated the 100th day of school. I never celebrated this when I was going to school, but apparently it's a big deal. So, each of the kindergarteners had to come up with a project where they put together 100 of something into a presentation. For example, 100 pennies on a poster board, 100 cottonballs, 100 goldfish, etc. We made similar suggestions to Luke while he was debating what to use in his project, including the suggestion of our extra wine corks that we've been saving for no particular reason. He nixed the idea and decided to use . . . dog food. Yup, dog food. Cool project, right? I shrugged my shoulders and said, "Al-righty."

So the next day I got a poster board at Walgreens and came home ready to help him complete his project. I got out my lo-temp hot glue gun and set up shop. (Eat your heart out Martha Stewart!). I told Luke to go gather up the dog food that he wanted to put on the poster board and he surprised me by saying, "No mom. I want to use corks."

I creased my eyes in confusion, "I thought you said you wanted to use dog food."

Luke, "No. I changed my mind."

Me, "Okay, let's start counting the corks"

We pulled out 100 corks, alternating with our counting.

Luke moved one cork to the board, "One."

I moved the next and said, "Two."

And so on.

Then we had to come up with a pattern. I was at a loss, but eventually we came up with this, so that Luke could count it by fives.


I did the glue, and Luke put the corks on the glue. It turned out pretty well.

We tried to come up with a catchy title for our creation, but all we could think of were jokes about our drinking habits.

For example, "The Month of December", "100 Wonderful Days", "The Tip of the Iceberg", etc.

I asked Luke what everyone thought of his project and he said, "They thought it was . . . interesting." Great. I can just picture Luke's teacher saying, "Wow, Luke. That's interesting." and then muttering to herself, "That explains a lot."

4 comments:

Cowtown Camera Girl said...

Ha! That's pretty clever and pretty funny! I use to be a 5th and 6th grade math teacher and we always celebrated the 100th day of school in my class. Don't think I ever had wine corks but that sure would have made me smile. :0)

Mary said...

I love the snow - where's mine?

Mary said...

I love the snow - where's mine?

Lisa said...

hahahaha! love it!