Friday, October 30, 2009

My Halloween Costume

We went to boo at the zoo last week with some friends - Em, Ben & Maddie and Mr. and Mrs. Chesapeake and Savannah. I forgot my camera so I don't have any pictures and even though everyone promised they would send me copies of their pictures, I've got nothing so far. Anyhow, the kids were cute, and you'll just have to take my word for it until someone feels guilty enough to share the pictures with me. I digress.

On our way to the zoo, Evie asked me why I wasn't wearing a costume. I said, "Oh, I am wearing my costume." They looked confused. I said, "I'm dressed up as a Mommy!" I thought to myself how brilliant I was to come up with a perfect costume that didn't require me to actually dress up in anything other than what I was wearing. They looked at me in doubt and said, "You can't be a Mommy for Halloween! You already are a Mommy!" I said, "Yes, I can. I dressed up as a Mommy!" They still looked a little doubtful, but I was still congratulating myself on my genius when a look of dawning realization appeared on Luke's face and he said, "Oh! I know! You dressed up like a Mommy who stays at home!" My face contorted with disbelief and I slumped in defeat. It was funny but a little bitter. I had no idea that he was aware that there was any other kind of Mommy besides a Mommy who goes to work everyday. I guess he's more grown up than I realized, and my heart twinged just a touch at the idea that he might prefer having a mommy that stays at home as opposed to the professional mother he actually has.

So, this year, I'm dressing up as a Mommy who stays at home. I guess that's not a bad costume. After all, Luke is dressing up as an astronaut - what he aspires to be - a noble profession to be sure. I certainly admire the stay at home mommy, so I will be honored this year to pretend that I am a stay at home mommy.

No comments: