Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The swamp

Seriously, Lindsey can't get here soon enough. That's all I've got to say about that.

Things are pretty boring at our house right now. All we've been doing is fixing the house, it seems. Chuck installed a hot water heater, drained, cleaned, and filled our pool, and fixed a drip in one of our air conditioners. Now it feels like our other air conditioner is on the fritz so we'll have to go buy another. Chuck broke the valve on our pool pump last night so that has to be fixed. I'm sure something else will break soon. Old houses are just a drain on your bank account.

The pool doesn't sound like that bad of a job except, well, it was! It was green like a swamp. The algae started growing while we had the cover on and we didn't realize it until we took the cover off and, by that time, it was way too late. We called our pool guy (who stopped coming while we had the pool cover on). He came by, took one look, and fired us on the spot. He said, "I don't have time for that." Yeah, no lie. I had no idea pool guy could fire us, but there you have it. Chuck spent all last week trying to back flush it (whatever that means) and then we had some friends over who actually know something about pools and the consensus was that it needed to be drained, power washed, and refilled. So we spent Saturday and Sunday doing that. The algae was so bad that we couldn't even see the top step. There could have been dead bodies at the bottom of the pool and I would have never known. I'll have to post a picture when I get a chance. Anyhow, things are better now, but I have to say that all this maintenance and repair work has been keeping our life hectic but boring. Hence, I have no stories, no interesting events.

So, instead, I will just have to post another movie quote soon.

7 comments:

Joan said...

How awful that had to be. I'm glad there were no dead critters in there.

Movie Quote for you:
"Would you be good enough to stand erect and in a proper manner, please? And where in the world did you get that dress?"
"It came in the missionary barrels."

Theresa said...

Annie?

Jess said...

Pollyanna :) A childhood favorite.

Mary said...

So - will the pool guy take you back now?
Tricky isn't it - it's like he left the relationship because the other person got fat while he wasn't looking.
The question then is - do you really want him back now that your all svelte again?

Theresa said...

Okay, it hit me that it was Pollyanna on my way home.

As for the pool guy, he asked if we had it cleaned up and wondered if we wanted him to come back to do the weekly pool service. A little cheeky, I thought. We told him that we were surprised he called back after he told us he didn't have time to clean our pool so we have decided to hire someone else.

As soon as he told me he didn't have time, I decided that was it with our pool guy.

Mom said...

I agree that it is pretty cheeky for him to ask to return. Does he only want the easy jobs or was he mad because you didn't need him all winter? I'm glad you told him no.

Mom said...

I agree that it is pretty cheeky for him to ask to return. Does he only want the easy jobs or was he mad because you didn't need him all winter? I'm glad you told him no.