Thursday, November 13, 2008

Advice for New Parents (But not from me)

Generally, I don't give advice to parents unless someone specifically asks me for advice. Actually, I take that back, the only advice I give to new parents is to listen to your gut since you know your child best. In my experience, new parents are bombarded with well-meaning (but often misplaced and confusing) bits of advice from everyone they know, so I try to be the one who refrains from telling you what to do or how to do it. With that said, I ran across these two articles (oddly, written by a Canadian for Canadians) dealing with advice for women on how to deal with new fathers and advice for men on how to deal with new mothers, particularly in the first weeks of parenthood.

I don't think I could fully appreciate what the article had to say until after I had a child and actually experienced several of the topics of dicussion, but my motto is "The more you know, the better prepared you will be." (Well, that really isn't my one and only motto, obviously, but it is a pretty good one). Anyhoo . . . here are links to the two articles written by John Hoffman, and I think they are very insightful even if they are Canadian (just kidding about the Canadian bit). But really, there isn't much different between Canadian and American parents, eh?

A Girl's Guide to Rookie Dads
http://www.fira.ca/cms/documents/33/A_Girls_Guide_to_Rookie_Dads.pdf

A Guy's Guide to New Mothers
http://www.happyhealthypregnancy.com/info/bow/article.aspx?article_id=2646&_nc=633621637864504917&_nockcheck=true

No comments: