Monday, February 16, 2009

Exploding Pizza

As you all know by now, George is not sleeping through the night. We had company this weekend so we didn't attempt to break him of his wakefulness, but we will soon. Friday night I was freakin' exhausted and we had a long day ahead of us with company arriving, dance lessons, and the all-important Valentine's Day celebrations. Chuck had spent Friday evening at Joe T's "networking" and drinking margaritas. Many margaritas later he arrived home where we retired at our normal 10:00 with a sleeping baby. At about 11:30 I was awakened by a frantic Chuck who pointed across the room to his dresser and urgently insisted that there were exploding pizzas that I had to take care of. Through my haze I looked at him and said, "What?" attempting to fully comprehend if I was hearing him correctly. He gave me an impatient, are-you-an-idiot look, pointed across the room and again insisted that the pizzas were exploding and I had to go take care of it - - right now. I narrowed my sleepy eyes and said, "Um, no, I don't. You're dreaming. Go back to sleep." He continued to sputter a bit, but I rolled over and went back to sleep, thoroughly annoyed.

So, when the 2:00 feeding rolled around that night, I jabbed Chuck to take care of George while I made a bottle. As Chuck was putting the finishing touches on George's new diaper, I handed him the bottle and muttered, "And I'm making you feed George since you woke me up to tell me about exploding pizzas." He had no response.

This sort of sleep talking is not new to us, but it doesn't happen very frequently. I blame the margaritas that night. On other occasions I have taken such an opportunity to ask questions so that he'll wake up and realize that he is not making any sense. It is so much fun to watch him try to rationalize whatever story he is trying to tell me about because there's a moment in the discussion where he begins to wake up and you can tell he's trying to gracefully back out of whatever story he's telling me. Sadly, it's only fun if I'm not bone tired. My favorite was when he woke me up and announced with deep appreciation, "There's nothing like being drunk in Santa's sleigh." I can quote that because I got up out of bed that night, wrote it on a piece of paper (word for word), and taped it to the bathroom mirror. It still makes me chuckle.

4 comments:

Ryan V. said...

Okay, this is awesome. And when we talked this afternoon, you had not yet posted this exchange with Chuck. Damn, now I wish I had met up with him at Joe T's when he sent me a text in the mid-afternoon. Perhaps I, too, could've mused about the exploding pizzas....

The Potters said...

That's awesome. I love it. Justin talks in his sleep too, but it's nothing worth noting like Chuck's is!!

Lisa said...

ha, matt talks non-sense in his sleep too. good call on writing it down, i need to start doing that!! :)

Joan said...

At least he is not working. Remember when I'd sitting up ringing up items and bagging them when I worked at Eckerds at Christmas? You're just as tired when you wake up as when you went to bed!